Sunday, May 15, 2016

The Management Problem; The Tangible Solutions

What I've found is that some management don't bother to train or manage. They just expect their employees to 'get it' immediately, throw attitude and disrespect toward those employees that don't, and allow those employees that are not consistent to run counter-narratives to the employees that do work both hard and particularly work smart.

I was always blessed that early on in my life I managed myself, then I had great trainers that taught me what really mattered. When I trained people, I didn't give up on them, and I continued to try and teach them how to better think about everything they were doing.

Believe it or not, some of those people after much effort and consistency on my end, even after training was over, came back to me and thanked me for bothering to care about them, because management certainly did not.

Some owners and management have a great deal of disrespect for employees. That is just the truth. You have to work at training. You have to invest in your employees, with both money, time, and consideration.

If the employer or manager believes it's all about themselves, the employee is likely to believe the same. People model behavior. 

For whatever reason, the workforce is distracted and less able to aggregate new information and experiences. Yes, they have cell phones, social media, and busy, probably difficult lives. As an owner, you have to manage this workforce and the state in which these employees are hired.

Create rules and regulations that are reasonable for running your business that also give managers flexibility as these employees learn how to renegotiate their behavior. Communicating why rules and regulations are what they are is sometimes more important than having the rules and regulations. However, it's the consistent application of these rules and regulations that over time trains the employees.
Consistency matters. Modeling behavior matters more. Consistently modeling behavior matters most.

Regardless of the parents being to blame or not, they're adults now. It's the community's responsibility to pick up the slack. That's why we have public schools with local control via school boards, local government, and the federal government teaching the classes. 

I'm a bit tired of hearing everyone blame others for not doing something about the situation. It's this attitude of blaming others while not doing anything tangible about fixing these issues we face that is the underlying problem.

Most parents these days don't have the skills or training to adequately run their own lives let alone raise kids to do the same. It takes a village.

Everyone wants to blame someone else for why today's new adults aren't work-ready. Well, most people don't go into the schools and try and do something about it. Most people aren't working with these adults to try and bridge the gaps today. They're just piling on the judgement and division that led them to be the incapable, maladjusted adults they are today.

Teach them what they need to know. Train them what they need to do. Model the behavior they need.

Tough love doesn't teach or train any workers how to work better, smarter, or harder. It doesn't give them new skills or new capabilities they had not learned before. It might, however, make someone feel better about feeling bad about them.

Bad parenting comes from a broken America. We're all to blame for these outcomes. It's up to all of us to do something about it. 

It doesn't miraculously change by judging them. It does change by actually bothering to better teach and better train them.

How have I helped change this situation for the better instead of just bitching and complaining about it, you mean.

I've taught in schools. I've taught in community churches. I've done outreach programs in poverty-stricken inner city neighborhoods. 

I trained employees of every educational background. I didn't judge any of them. I did my job by modeling the behavior that i wanted them to have. 
+Amazing World

I've tutored students with emotional and developmental issues that struggle to learn in an overburdened public school system. I've not given up on them or judged any of them. 

I put verbs in my sentences and I actually do something about the situations I see my communities and my country going through.

What have you done lately? What verbs have you put in your sentences? What actions have you done to better other people's children?

Those are the questions we all need to answer every day. If we all did something about these collective problems we face as a country, these problems would be receding and our lives would be improving as a whole.

We can still do this. I've not given up on America, the Dream, nor on the people of this nation. Neither should any of us. 

No comments:

Post a Comment